On Corners, David’s songwriting is supported by insightful production and a stellar cast of musicians. These include Michael Manring, who is best known for his extensive work with Michael Hedges; Keith Lowe, Fiona Apple’s bass player; Hans Teuber on saxophone and flute, who tours with Ani DiFranco; and guest appearances by nationally known singer/songwriters Beth Wood, Chris Rosser and Christine Kane.
Evan Brubaker’s production is as appropriate as it is creative, letting each song define itself rather than forcing it into a box. Some songs are recorded with no instrumentation other than David’s voice and guitar. Others draw on the lush sounds of strings, horns and stacked electric guitar tracks.
About the cover art (a note from David):
Lots of people ask about the cover art on Corners. When trying to decide what to do with the cover for this record, I only knew that I didn’t want to be on the cover, and that I wanted the cover art to convey a certain mood. I called Lynne Siler, the professional photographer who shot all the pictures for Hard Earned Smile, and asked her what she had in her portfolio that might fit the bill. She sent six images, and this one was clearly right. It’s a photo of her own reflection in the face of a steel sculpture in Florence, Italy. The rough texture of the photograph is due to marring and rust on the metal in which the image is reflected, and was not added by computer manipulation. Special thanks, once again, to Lynne for sharing her superb art.
A singularly mellifluous and rich voice, a keen sense of appropriate tune and a carefully honed talent on the six-string… lyrical finesse…. This is a darkly beautiful collection…”
– Rapid River, Asheville, NC
- Evan Brubaker (Salt Lake City, UT) producer
- Kristin deWitt (Austin, TX) harmony vocals
- Tom Dziekonski (Seattle, WA) strings
- Sean Halley (Los Angeles, CA) electric guitar
- Dave Jette (Seattle, WA) drums
- Christine Kane (Asheville, NC) harmony vocals
- David Lange (Tacoma, WA) Hammond organ, Wurlitzer, grand piano
- Keith Lowe (Seattle, WA) bass
- Michael Manring (San Francisco, CA) fretless bass
- Chris Rosser (Asheville, NC) electric guitar, dotar
- Hans Teuber (Seattle, WA) saxophone
- Beth Wood (Arlington, TX) vocals